Monday, November 24, 2014

Novel Project LRB #9

"Of Mice and Men"
John Steinbeck



There are many inspirational passages in this book , but one of the best ones is the one where Lennie and George are in cahoots with Candy and on the verge of finally achieving their dream of having a place of their own, a place that they can call home and have all to themselves. The passage I've chosen in the following:

"They fell into a silence. They looked at one another, amazed. This thing they had never really believed in was coming true." (pg. 66)

I think this is one of the most amazing scenes in this entire book, it it just so full of life, hope, and happiness, which was not too common in that time period. I think it was beautiful to begin with that George and Lennie had a dream, but when it comes down to the moment where you are right on the brink of having something you have wanted so long, it is just an overwhelming feeling of pure joy. I love how they are going to be rewarded for their optimism, their amazement is truly wonderful to experience especially because George seemed very doubtful that this dream would ever be achieved in the first place. I have had a similar experience, not so much with a dream of my own ,but an opportunity that I have had before. I was given the opportunity to have a solo for singing at church, which may seem insignificant to some, but I had struggled with being shy about singing in front of people. When I was asked, "Would you like to have a solo this Sunday evening?" I could hardly believe what I had just heard, I stood there like a deer in headlights, not saying a word. I could not begin to express how relieved I was that someone had come to me and asked, fulfilling my desire to share the gift God had given me. Since that moment I gladly accept any time I am asked, and it saddens me that George, Lennie, and Candy are so utterly disappointed because of the outcome of the story, this passage truly fills me with joy, but also strikes a chord in my heart for those who cannot get their dream fulfilled, their deepest desires to become reality. I truly feel what they felt in this moment, but I wish the outcome was different in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment